Bill Barry Jr.

wjbreviews@gmail.com

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Continuing education...

When I decided to review shows, I knew I would experience some backlash.  What I didn't anticipate was just how explosive it would become.  It's just my opinion, expressed in my own style.  Turning into the fracas it became made it appear I wielded more power than I have or deserve. Trust me...there is no vendetta or hidden agenda.  I realize in some eyes, I am a pariah - that I attempted to slaughter the sacred cow.  Maybe it's the sacred cash cow.  Whatever you think, I would like local theatre to succeed, so I will continue to push for something better than what I'm getting when its value is not on par with what I'm being asked to pay.


The comments you see on this blog are the ones I received via the blog.  I did not, nor will I censor anyone's opinion.  Condemn me, chastise me, think of me as someone who eats children.  Agree or disagree.  You're entitled to your opinion.  Why not see "To Gillian..." and judge my analysis of the show.  If you agree, then our sensibilities match and you can join me on this journey.  If not, then we will agree to disagree, and life goes on.  It's that simple.


I posit that hiding behind anonymity is another issue and speaks to a whole set of issues about petty vindictiveness and fear of retribution.  But hey...when's the last time there has been this much excitement about what's happening ON stage vs. the bedroom antics OFF stage at any theatre?


There were 20 comments, and I thank all 20 for participating.  I further thank those who put their names to their comments or act of contrition.  And for those who offered sage advice, I am very grateful.  There are a great deal more comments that were made via e-mail...all positive.  I was shocked by how much they agreed with my assessment of the show.  I am surprised that a number of professional actors have written to me, asking me to expand my scope and also consider reviewing professional theatre.  Since the email comments were not sent via the blog, they are not for public display.


This is a learning process for me.  It's my first review.  I want to continue doing this, so as an author, I need to develop better communication skills so that the analysis is seen for what it is:  honest criticism.  I admit that I got carried away with my own cleverness.  I have concluded that I was writing more for myself and the few who love heavy sarcasm and acerbic wit.  It was a performance on paper.  It's my conceit, and I'm pretty good at it. People who know me thought I was being gentle compared to what they've heard me say.  But as a reviewer, I need to seek a better tone that opens up dialog and is constructive.


I stand behind my thoughts on the show.  The poor writing and structure of the piece presents an almost impossible obstacle for the actors to overcome.  Perhaps that contributed to the discomfort I felt from them that never allowed me to get involved.  The directing was weak, the pace is lethargic and we have learned that it was not Marc's first choice.  I'm surprised it was chosen for the season.  Maybe the selection committee was jonesing for chutzpah.  (See, I can't help myself sometimes)


So, while I still maintain that my analysis of the show is valid, I also realize that the tone was off-putting, which led to vitriolic reactions to, rather than consideration of, the merit of the critique.  My sincere apologies to cast members who felt it was a personal attack.  It was not intended as such.  And apologies for not getting Jeni's name right.


Next week, I'll be posting reviews of Riverfront's "Don't Dress For Dinner" and Greenman's "Don't Drink The Water."  Call them and warn them...(damn, it's my evil twin at the keyboard again).

2 comments:

  1. Bill,
    I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of a better tone. I have the highest hopes that you'll find it. I will read your reviews with interest and will probably, on occasion, agree with your assessment of a show.

    As I said on my own blog, I stand by your right to express your opinion, whether or not I share or like it.

    I was saddened by those anonymous comments on your blog who not only shared their opinions, but took the opportunity to make assumptions about the show (which at least one had not seen) and about me and the actors in the show.

    As you know, I feel that the tone and sarcasm (call it acerbic wit) evident in your review created an environment in which the lowest common denominator of those involved with local theatre felt comfortable (albeit anonymously) expressing themselves in hateful ways. And I will concede that some who disagreed with you and found you offensive chose to attack you personally, which, in my opinion, was also uncalled for.

    I didn't comment on your review on your blog, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to comment on this post. I posted my own thoughts on your review in my personal blog, intended for the eyes of my friends and whoever happened across it. I only promoted it as a facebook status update. If you're my Facebook friend, you got the link. Because my blog is a place where I write my personal thoughts to amuse myself and my friends. And even there, while I chose to mock your tone, and your reviewing style, and call to question your motivations, I did not engage in personal attacks. That's not my style, and it wouldn't have served any purpose.

    However, I decided to comment on this post, if only to set the record straight as regards to my involvement in Gillian. Whatever you think about my directing abilities, and what I did with this show in particular, I feel that you may be implying that my heart was not in it. (You say " The directing was weak, the pace is lethargic and we have learned that it was not Marc's first choice. ") I'm not sure if that's what you're suggesting, but I want to be clear that while I recognize the weaknesses inherent in the script, I felt like they could be overcome. I didn't phone it in. I worked as hard on this show as I would on any show. Perhaps it was arrogance on my part, but I thought that whatever imperfections the script had could be overcome. I recognize that in your opinion, they weren't. However, there have been a fair amount of people who have enjoyed the show quite a bit. These aren't the people who emailed you. These aren't the people who commented. This script, and our production does have an audience, and I did what I could to serve them.

    Perhaps next time, should there be one, my work will be more to your liking. And if it isn't, I expect that at the very least, there won't be as much sarcasm to dig through to find the review.

    .m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill~ Opinions are just that...opinions...I appreciate your wit and sarcasm...but mostly I appreciate your honesty...Keep it up. I look forward to reading each and every review...

    ReplyDelete