Bill Barry Jr.

wjbreviews@gmail.com

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Review: "To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday" Wheaton Drama, Wheaton IL 4/8/10

The current production at Wheaton Drama is being touted as an Oppenheimer Award winner for Best Play.  Before reading their press release, I’d never heard of the Oppenheimer Award.  I was hoping it was akin to the Nobel Peace Prize.  Perhaps it was discovered that reading/viewing the play would shield you from radiation poisoning.  Or it was a literary award given by a group of hedge fund managers. A quick Google (I try to do that right after brushing) reveals there is an Oppenheimer Award, described as, “... the premier award to a young investigator in recognition of meritorious accomplishment in the field of basic or clinical endocrinology.”  I’m jazzed about maybe winning one, but what does that have to do with an award for “Best Play”?


It wasn’t until I reached the bowels of my Google search (somewhere around page 3) that I discovered that the award they are referring to is not for the play, but for the playwright.  To quote the Ocala Star-Banner of 8/5/84, “Michael Brady, author of ‘To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday,’ has won the George Oppenheimer Newsday award as the best new American playwright whose work was produced in New York City or Long Island. ...Newsday...annually presents the $1000 award in memory of George Oppenheimer, the newspaper’s drama critic who died in 1977.”  Not quite as prestigious as the endocrine award, but an award nonetheless. 


I mention this because in the director’s notes in the program, Marc Ludena states, “But when I read the script...I began to understand why this script was awarded the Oppenheimer Award for best play in 1983.”  And this confused me, because as I watched it unfolding on stage, I kept asking myself, “Who is Oppenheimer, and what the hell was he thinking?”  As it turns out, he wasn’t thinking at all.  He was dead.


As an audience member, these are not the thoughts that should be running through your head after the first ten minutes of a show.  You should be engaged in what’s being played out on stage and making a visceral emotional connection with the characters. For this show in particular to be successful, the audience has to care about the characters.  Unfortunately, none of the performances of this production, except for one, made me make that empathetic leap.  And, even more unfortunate, when the performances are weak, it always exposes the weaknesses of the literature.


Judging a piece of literature/movie/play has nothing to do with the subject matter.  It’s more about how it is about the subject.  I think the play addresses the issue of grieving in a manner that is rife with superficiality and structurally on par with your average After School Special.  And just as predictable.  It concerns David, a former college professor, who has entombed himself in a 2-year grief process over the death of Gillian, his wife, and has shut himself off emotionally to others, especially his daughter.  And that’s pretty much it.  All else is bunting, fluff and filler.  He is either going to make a connection with everyone, which means there will be obligatory scenes at the end so David can reveal to each person that his emotional boo-boo is gone and all is good, or he’s not.  The big conflict that ends Act 1 (spoiler alert) is whether Rachel is going to live with Ester and Paul, her aunt and uncle on her mother’s side, or stay with David.  Ooooh.  Ahhh.  That’s the conflict;  the tension that’s supposed to keep us engaged and carry us through intermission.  Evidently it wasn’t enough to entice quite a few patrons to return to their seats for Act 2 on the night I saw the show.  And when a fundamentally weak script is poorly executed, you don’t care about any of it.

David is portrayed by Craig Witt, who appears to have internalized the emotional disconnect so well that he never invests himself into the performance, nor does he display any humanity.  There is no honesty or believability in what he does on stage, and it’s hard to accept there ever was a relationship with his daughter.  He has chosen a stiff, halting delivery, with stage movements that belie his acting acumen.  He shuffled constantly, bobbed his head with every line reading, and used a stage voice that screamed, “I’m acting!!!”.  In my notes, I wrote, “I’m seeing the work, not the result of the work.”  As I’ve told many of the actors I’ve directed, the audience doesn’t care how you get there...they just want you to get there;  be honest, because they can spot insincerity a mile away.


David’s teenaged-daughter Rachel is played by Katie Kanturek, a teenager herself, who needs more time to mature as an actor.  She doesn't appear able to handle this role at this time in her budding theatre career; especially given the obstacles of a lackluster script, a lack of stage support from the principal actors and a lack of dynamic direction.  Given time and guidance, Katie has the potential to be a fine actor.


The obligatory in-law characters, Ester (Gillian’s sister) and Paul (her husband) are acted by real-life couple Jenny Dees and Ish Rios.  I expected there to be some chemistry between the two, but the characters are stereotypical at best and neither actor had the chops to bring them to life in an interesting way.  The result was routine and pedestrian characters.  I was led to believe that they were intended to be the comic relief of the show, but so much of what they did rang hollow.  They were caricatures rather than characters, and the humor fell flat.  Dramatically, there wasn’t much to hang onto.  When Ester has a reveal of her personal crisis concerning children, it felt forced and false.  Rios made some questionable acting choices and mis-played Paul, especially when he tries to convince David to return to teaching.  He brought nothing but a buffoonish grin to the acting table.


The in-laws bring someone with them on their visit to David, hoping that if she could bed him, he’d get out of his funk.  Her name is Kevin (it’s explained in the show), and she was once David’s student.  She’s hot for teacher.  Again, a fairly typical plot device.  Kevin is played by Traci Cidlik, who somehow managed to transform a character that should easily garner audience empathy into a character devoid of emotional depth.  Her timing contributed to bringing the overall pace of the show down. The scenes between her and David were froth with lethargy.


Rachel has a friend, Cindy, who has more of a personal connection with David than he has with his daughter.  She is his jogging partner and human confessional.  She has developed a crush on him and is played by Erica Pezza, a new-comer to theatre.  There is a diamond-in-the-rough quality about her.  Once she’s had more time to hone and polish her craft, I predict her time on stage will contribute greatly to any production.


The one bright spot was Lisa Schmela as titular Gillian, who comes to life only in the mind of David.  When she walked out on stage, and spoke her first line (48 minutes into the show), I wrote in my notes, “Interesting that the dead woman would bring some life to this production.”  She was natural, real and honest.  I didn’t see her “acting.”  I was drawn into the person she was and I found myself wishing I knew more about her.  She left me wanting more of her on stage.  I was sorry she was dead.


As poor execution highlights the flaws in a script, lack of energy, poor pacing, linear blocking and wavering focus in the acting reveal the flaws of the direction.  A scene at a lighthouse could have been staged in a less than cumbersome way.  The scene itself is awkwardly written, and takes place between Kevin and Rachel.  It lacked any honesty or real emotion.  Those important items were replaced with a lighthouse unit that was rolled loudly onto the stage.  Because the scene didn’t offer anything emotionality compelling, it basically said, “Look, we can put a lighthouse on stage, and we have shiny red bikes.”


The stage at Wheaton Drama is wider than it is deep, and this poses some problems in staging shows.  At times, when the whole group was having a “family” conversation, the  director tried to use all the stage.  People were very far apart and any intimacy of the scene was lost.  A simple solution would have been to narrow the audience’s view by bring the side drapes in and build a smaller, more intimate and efficient set.  Conversations between characters about their feelings were made moot by spacing that hinted that no one wanted any human connection.


There are many problems with the production.  I have copious notes.  And I shouldn’t have them.  As an audience member, I notice many things when the direction, acting and story structure don’t engage my attention.  I become distracted by the little pieces because the big picture is not there to look at.


Was it worth the price of admission. No, and I went on discount night.


Paid: $13
Worth: $2.60
Run time: 2hrs, 11 minutes with intermission


For ticket info, dates and times, visit www.wheatondrama.org

24 comments:

  1. George Oppenheimer was one of the screenwriters of "A Day at the Races", starring the Marx Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally an honest review of a show. I totally agree with 99% of this review!!! The only thing I disagree with is the price it was worth, I think the actors and director of this production owe me some money or at least a couple drinks that are served during the show!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When a brief review needs 3-4 paragraps as the lead, I tremble. Cut to the chase.

    Value of review to reviewer's ego: Priceless
    Value to a busy reader: $0.05

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest and true. Thanks for having the courage to say what so many were thinking. This is a bad play that should never have been chosen in the first place. When you are forced to cast folks like this, it shows that your pool of talent at auditions must have been small. Bad script= bad turnout= bad production.

    And one would think the director would have learned something after seeing "Streetcar" last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bill Barry, well, i have one thing to say to you....it's a good thing you decided to retire from acting because I saw you in "Playball," and well....let's just say that its a good thing. Your performance in that show probably took about 5 minutes to research and prepare for..........it doesnt take talent to act like a wasted horny judge. So, lets just say that this review means nothing because I dont consider you a professional as a an actor or a critic. You should find something better to do with your spare time.........just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, I only know you by your good reputation. I haven't (and probably won't) see the show, as the synopsis I've read didn't interest me. I applaud your willingness to write a negative review, if it's warranted. I enjoyed reading Gonnereal's (sp?) reviews for the same reason, as it was clear she had an experienced and knowledgeable point of view.

    I recall a past favorite magazine which featured, among other things, critical reviews of musical equipment. A reader wondered why all the reviews were more or less positive, and the editor replied that when they encountered bad equipment, they simply chose not to publish a review. The notion was that the absence of a review was negative enough.

    For amateur theatre, that might possibly be the better option, but it would be less interesting (not so much for the controversy, but the detailed oberservations).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Barry, you state the following:
    "Basically, I'm just trying to make dollars and sense out of local theatre, and encourage you to support those who do a fine job, and to warn you to shy away from those theatres that don't."

    This is completely unfair, as theatres should not be judged as entities. Let's face it-- every group is uneven because the directors' talents, strengths and weaknesses are varied. There are people directing for the first time for a group and others who have 30 years of experience. And even that is no guarantee of quality: for all the years of experience you tout, Wheaton Drama's "The Odd Couple" was a rather marginal production at best.

    Please do not try to tell people what groups do quality theatre. Review each show on its own merits. If you really disliked "Gillian" as much as you did, isn't it ultimately at the hands of the director? You criticize the actors' choices, but one would hope they were only following the director's vision. There wasn't very much said about the direction, but that's what is at the core of any show's success or failure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Oh Bill Barry, well, i have one thing to say to you....it's a good thing you decided to retire from acting because I saw you in "Playball," and well....let's just say that its a good thing. Your performance in that show probably took about 5 minutes to research and prepare for..........it doesnt take talent to act like a wasted horny judge."

    Obviously this person did NOT see "Play Ball", since Bill was originally cast as the judge and was moved up to playing Billy Flynn, one of the leads. Try reading the program, bunky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not know any of these people involved and did not see the production in question. I was in one play at WD, again year's ago and had a very positive experience working with the group. What I do know is that I 'briefly" used to write reviews for NICOTH.com years ago who seemed only to want to say good things about the productions we agreed to go see and critique. Well I wrote my honest review of a 'stinky" musical produced by WD and all hell broke loose. Even NICOTH questioned if I really wanted to print the review. I said there was no point of having a review board if only to write about good things. I had no bias going into seeing the production, really didn't know anyone involved in it and can assure you I had no personal agenda. Well unfortunately I was blackballed by WD for being honest and personally attacked afterwards. WD take the review for what it was...one person's opinion. You need to take the good with the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok... I was going to stay out of this but I must say just one thing.
    I'm with you "Anonymous" #4, Bill Barry Jr. did suck as the Judge in PLAY BALL. I mean, he didn't even say any of the Judge's lines! Someone else had to say them!!! But, now that I think about it, that might have been because Bill Barry Jr played Billy Flynn and not the Judge. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Obviously this person did NOT see "Play Ball", since Bill was originally cast as the judge and was moved up to playing Billy Flynn, one of the leads. Try reading the program, bunky." Obviously Bill did not read the GILLIAN program because he misspelled some actors names! All that research on the "award" and he couldn't research the program to check spelling? Oh Mr. Barry, stick to TRYING to act. I saw your show too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. who cares just let this be done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to thank Bill for being candid and straight forward. Some reviewers and readers of reviews feel that community theatre reviews should spotlight the positive and downplay the negative. As a potential audience member, I want to know the negative! Tickets prices are climbing and I don't want to waste my money on a supposedly good show that a reviewer couldn't be honest about to avoid hurt feelings. Sorry, you put yourself out there, that doesn't excuse you from critical judgment, amateur or not.

    As for WD, they can do good work. Working WITH them, however, is like being a date at a family reunion. If you're not related, you might as well stand by the chip and dip all night.

    Thanks to Bill for being honest and saving me time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To you several objectors:
    If you disagree with Bill's evaluation, why not refute that? Castigating his recent performances (accurately or not) has no bearing on his assertions about "Gillian". Did you see the show? Enjoy it? Recommend it to friends? Why?

    One more thing: Why be anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why be anonymous? Good question. It's a small world and you can't afford to hurt feelings around here. You see the storm this one review is causing? That's why some feel they can only be positive. I am not attacking that person, but it does not help anyone to only be positive in a review. I am also not assuming that the positive reviewer is in fear of never being cast again if she writes a negative review. If it were me, I would be. That's why I don't have a review blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do nothing anonymously.

    As a fellow sarcastic bastard, I completely understand Bill's use of things like "Shiny red bikes" in this review.

    However, Bill, these things don't accomplish much in a forum such as this. They look small.

    Buried in this review is some pretty thorough, honest constructive criticism that gets clouded by the overall tone of the review. Unfortunately, the review will entertain a few, including the author, but ultimately requires far too much reading between the lines to see what its actual message is.

    Take for example this passage: He shuffled constantly, bobbed his head with every line reading, and used a stage voice that screamed, “I’m acting!!!”. In my notes, I wrote, “I’m seeing the work, not the result of the work.”

    The final sentence accomplishes the criticism without the tone that things like three exclamation points illustrate. I also caution that telling a reader how you handle yourself in similar situations leads to the inevitable "Who the hell are you to criticize?"

    I think a "reviewer" like this is sorely needed in this area. There are some shitty plays that get picked, with people doing shitty work in them. I've done a few of them myself and sucked to high heaven in them. I'd like to know what shows are worth the time to try and find a sitter, get on the road and drive forever to see them. Maybe in time Bill's blog will get there. I simply don't have the time or inclination to go and "be supportive" anymore. Not that I love people any less, or owe people any less for supporting work I've done, but the idea of missing time with my children to go and essentially be seen by someone after the show....and if my reaction isn't right have them get worked up over it....well....that doesn't hold any interest for me anymore. I'm a lousy friend. I'm OK with that, and I'm OK with the consequences it may bring.

    I hope the reviews get better. I don't expect higher opinions of the shows, but I expect better reviews. I'm sure Bill expects to get better at this as well.

    There. I've put in my two cents.

    And that's probably all it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Community theater folk tend to clamor for local reviews. And then they get them. When the reviews are positive, the reviewers are poo-pooed for being sychophants. And when they are negative, the reviewers are subject to bizarre ad hominem attacks. It's all very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear all,

    I've been following this with great interest.

    As a WD member, and AD for "To Gillian" and "Streetcar", I will say that I suppport the work of the actors and the staff on both productions. In fact, while I may not always like productions I see (and sometimes work on), I always respect the work of those involved.

    Nobody is perfect. I've never seen a perfect production anywhere (community or professional) because they just don't exist.

    Theatre, like everything, is composed of human beings with varying talents and opinions. Sometimes actors or crew will have a bad night, and sometimes, everything "clicks" and it's darn-near magical. You don't know what you will get, and that's part of what makes theatre exciting.

    As for the reviews, I have no issue with people who do not like a production; like the show, it's all in the presentation.

    Rather than fight over opinions, I would much rather see the work, even if you don't like it, celebrated. None of this is easy, yet it can be incredibly rewarding.

    So, for my oversight on the Oppenheimer Award, I say sorry. For anything I may have done in my theatre experience which offended, I say sorry. What I will not apologize for is the tremendous amount of work that goes into any production, and I will not apologize for "To Gillian" or for "Streetcar". They are/were both special moments for those involved, and
    I sincerely hope that the cast and crew of those, and all productions at all theatres, remain proud of their efforts.

    It takes guts to be on stage, or to take on any role in a theatre. I commend anybody who does it.

    Best to you all,

    Jo-Ann Ledger

    ReplyDelete
  19. Call me Anon. I infrequently get my amateur theater 'fill' at the trough. How shall I say ?... it's been the best of times and the worst of times. So, why can't Bill write what he feels? He seems to have some experieince in the genre - but say he was joe lunchbox and didn't know directing from spelunking- is he not allowed an opinion (verbose as it may be)? Don't folks in this biz want to know when some audience think they have a winner or when they have a dog? Frankly, I want to hear more out of Bill. Maybe a bit wittier, but now who's kvetching?

    Your pal,

    Anon

    ReplyDelete
  20. It seems that Bill was successful in getting a response from "anonymous." He's a very prolific writer. Must be between jobs.

    As for "Gillian", I saw some fine performances last Saturday, especially among the younger actors. Anybody can do "Oklahoma." It takes some chutzpah to put on a play like this one. Kudos to Wheaton Drama, Marc, and his cast.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I find it very sad that so many "anonymous" (several of them) felt the need to criticize Bill's last stage performance...What does that have to do with a review for another play? Especially since the "anonymous" obviously didn't see the show (Judge? no, he was brilliant as Billy Flynn) You complain about Bill's supposed personal attacks, but isn't that precisely what "anonymous" did in their post? The review was about the show...not the Reviewer...

    ReplyDelete
  22. While I agree that remaining anonymous is a move of complete cowardice, I understand their point of view when critiquing Mr. Barry's performance in "Play Ball." Allow me to illustrate:

    I am not a good baseball player. For this reason, I refrain from shouting "You swing like a rusty gate!" while enjoying a game. If I chose to criticize in said manner, my criticism would lack credibility because A) I am deficient in my ability to play the game, and B) I chose a classless manner in which to share my frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You missed the point, Maggie. The people criticizing Bill's performance were criticizing the wrong actor.

    It's like you were saying, "You swing like a rusty gate" when you hadn't even seen the game. They were pretending they saw Bill just to have something bad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Actually, Craig, I did not miss the point. The point was incorrect. Three comments critiqued Bill's performance; only one mistook him for the judge. I stand by my statement.

    ReplyDelete