Bill Barry Jr.

wjbreviews@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Review: "Drood" Joliet Drama Guild, Joliet, IL, Ends 8/29/10

Before the review, a few items of business...


1)  Dare I or dare I not?
The question is:  Should I review a show that contains my family members?  I have two members of my immediate family who are in Wheaton Drama's upcoming production of The Drowsy Chaperone.  It seems tricky, and I sense a trap from which I may never escape.  I'd like to hear what the public thinks.


2)  Letters...we get letters...and comments...
In the comments section of the previous posting in which I announced with good intentions that I would post the review this past Saturday, I found the following questions/statements that I would like to acknowledge: 


A) Your seem to have some geographic boundaries to where you will go to to view a show. Possibly you be more specific about your travel limitations.
I don't have travel restrictions, except for that annoying "do not fly" list that holds me up on border crossings.  Perhaps I should drop ShoeBomber from my name.  Anyway, I do take into account travel time when I choose a show to see.  Don't you?  I don't work for a paper or a media organization, so all the expenses of this venture fall on me.  The shows I choose to review are usually ones I'm interested in seeing as a theatre patron.  I know about them because their attempts at public relations were successful in reaching me.  Or I have been invited to come and review the show.  I live in Carol Stream, so that is the hub from which I radiate.  This would explain seeing many shows in St. Charles, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Batavia, Geneva, Aurora, and Itasca.  But I have also reviewed shows in Highland Park, Bolingbrook, and 3 different neighborhoods in Chicago.  And now a show in Joliet.  That was a long trip.  But they invited me, and having never seen Drood before, my curiosity was piqued.  I just received an invitation to review The Desk Set at Albright Theatre in Batavia.  I said yes because I'm a fan of the Tracy/Hepburn movie of the same name, and I've never seen it as a stage production.  If you have a specific show you'd like me to review, just let me know and if it's something I want to see, and if it fits in my schedule, I'll try to be there.  I have learned that shows of only 2-weekend runs must stay off my radar for reviewing.  By their nature there is pressure inherent to the process to meet a practical deadline.  It gives me the willies.  


B)  What Saturday are you going to be posting your DROOD review? I would like to read it before I spend $13 on a ticket...
I laughed when I read this because as I realized I was going to miss my self-imposed deadline, I thought, "Well, I never did say which Saturday."  This also gave my ego a boost, knowing that my opinion could actually hold sway over the fate of $13.  Thank you for that power.  The review is below.  (hint...save your cash)


C)  Kind of hard to take you seriously as a reviewer if you don't even post a review when you say you will.
I'm sorry you feel that way.  I had the best intentions of getting the review posted Saturday.  There are days when I don't feel like writing, or thinking about theatre or seeing a show.  And that's OK.  I'm entitled.  We're all entitled.  When it stops being fun, it's time to step back.  When it starts to feel that way all the time, then it's time to close down the blog.  If I start writing a review, or go see a show feeling pressured to do so, I won't be happy with the review or being at that show.  Such was the case this weekend.  My reviews don't go public until I'm happy with them and I think I'm giving you something worthy of your time.  They are my creations...like children, and not many births take place on the projected due date.  Too many damn variables.  If because of that you think less of my critical skills, I'm sorry.  Sadly, I will always disappoint you.  As for you taking me seriously, I don't believe I ever entered into that accord with anyone, or you in particular.  I just post.  It's up to you to decide how it fits into your world  and into your life.


D)  Geez, give the guy a break! Things happen
Thanks Mom.  Love you!


E)   I saw Drood and I liked it. It was the first time I was able to yell at the actors and not worry abouut being asked to leave the theater!  Heck, they encourage people to interact with the actors.  Bill's review may or may not agree, but I thought it was a lot of fun. 
As good a time as any to get into the review.


******************************************
The Chairman (Damon Sloan) and
 Edwin Drood (Natalie Gustafson)
The concept of the show is fascinating.  A musical based on Charles Dickens' last (and unfinished) novel, The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  I knew the name but had never seen it, nor had I heard the score.  Written by Rupert Holmes (yes, the guy who sang The Pina Colada song from the late 70s), it is a show within a show.  It is presented as a British music hall pantomime, using the conventions of asking the the audience to participate in helping to choose an ending for the unfinished novel, and having a young female in male drag playing the lead boy (in this case, Edwin Drood).  For more information, follow this link.  I was excited to see this.  Now, after having seen the production presented by Joliet Drama Guild, I'd like even more to see it again, but done much better.


This production had all the minimalist trappings for this style of show and was in a wonderful venue.  And if you buy the concept, you buy the show.  But it is also a musical, and I expected people to be on key and display some panache for dance.  If you are asked to believe it takes place in an English music hall, you should expect a certain quality to the "musical" aspect of the show.  Unfortunately, this was not the case.


Eric Sipe played the "villain," John Jasper, the choirmaster (who had a hard time finding his notes).  He played everything with rage.  He sang with rage.  He shouted with rage.  He walked with rage.  Everything was loud rage, with no nuance or levels.  He had nowhere to go with the character, and he really tried too hard.  It was a conscious character choice, and it was off-putting.  Vocally, he wandered all over the map, and I didn't enjoy his performance.  I endured it.


He is smitten with one of his students who is engaged to his nephew Drood.  Her name is Rosa Bud, and she is presented by Annie Roach.  Her performance was lackluster and dull, and made it difficult for me to feel anything for her character. She also had trouble finding or staying on key, and as the soprano, she fought valiantly to reach the higher notes.  And, as an audience member, we could hear every punch landed as she fought her way to the top.  She had a body microphone that amplified everything with distortion, making it harsh and hard to listen to.  When she spoke, she was also amplified and seemed other-worldly.  She and Jasper had a couple of duets.  I endured them.  As for the rest of the cast, except for two others, there was nothing memorable.  The show music is a bit like  Sondheim, so I wasn't sure if the dissonance was as written or due to poorly executed harmonies.  I have since listened to a few of the songs off the original cast recording.  Unfortunately, it was the execution.


The two actors who stood-out for me were Damon Sloan as The Chairman and Natalie Gustafson as Edwin Drood.  Sloan captured the essence of an emcee.  He developed great rapport with the audience.  He was spontaneous, charming, amusing, and delightfully silly when he was forced into playing auxiliary characters.  He has a wonderful stage presence and I hope to see him in other productions.


Natalie Gustafson found the marrow of the lead boy concept.  Her attitude and manner were perfect for Edwin Drood.  He/she was fun to watch, seemed invested in her character, and had a nice singing voice.  Of particular note is the song, "A Private Investigation."  Her voice was clear and filled the room without amplification.  It was a highlight.  She had a few moments struggling with harmonies in other songs, but that appeared to be a problem with her partners.  She is also someone I look forward to seeing in other works.  My only suggestion is that she work on hugging more like a man.  Her embraces with Rosa seemed dainty...a little too kiss-kiss, hug-hug.


As a music hall/musical, this production failed on the dance front.  There was nothing exciting.  All the moves were simple, and simple was not done well.  The band was OK, but very loud in that venue.  Music cues were sloppy, and someone should teach the actors and the band how to talk-up a song over a long intro.  I find it disturbing to watch an actor wait for his/her entrance into a song.


I will say that I enjoyed the "gimmick" of booing and hissing at the villain and cheering on the heroes.  The voting for the ending was fun.  I just wish the whole show had been better.


In the interest in full disclosure, I did receive a complimentary ticket to see the show.  I didn't realize that's what it was until I arrived at the theatre.  I have felt uneasy about it, since I won't take comps for shows I'm planning on reviewing, and I should have paid right then.  It violates one of the core concepts of the blog, and I really feel I did myself a disservice.  All last week, I could hear the heart beating beneath the floorboards.  An invite to see a show with a comp ticket so I can have a second look after the review is published is OK, as I did when I saw Tommy again.  It gave me an opportunity to talk with the director and discuss some of what he went through.  I'm doing it this weekend for the closing of Equus.  The director has invited me back to see the show and have an opportunity to speak with him  Hey, why not?  The upshot is this:  I have mailed $11 to Joliet Drama League (they have a 55+ senior rate) earlier today before I posted this review.  Then I can answer my signature question with honesty:  Is it worth the price of admission?  No, I don't think so.


Run time:  2 hours, 52 minutes, with intermission.


For tickets and times and more information, go here.


15 comments:

  1. Just wondering if you had any comments about the technical aspects of the show? I am always interested in that aspect of theatre. I know that if, as a general audience member you notice the tech aspects it's not a good thing, but as a reviewer, I assume you try to at least notice some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not review family members. As much as I would love to see your review of Chaperone, do not do it!! It's just asking for trouble, at least in my humble opinion. Keep those other reviews coming, though. I thoroughly enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Reviewing a show in which one has family members: that is indeed swimming in dangerous waters. I guess my question back to you is how secure are your family members, and how much compartmentalization can you do? You have already provided to us readers full disclosure regarding a potential review of The Drowsy Chaperone. And I'm sure you will again at the time you write the review, if you do. The big question is, of course, can you review the show and your family members fairly? And will we believe you if it's a good review, and will you ever sleep well again if it's not? I happen to believe your reviews are well-written and fair, but this is certainly new territory. I'd be willing to think you would be fair with a review of TDC as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of curiosity, who did you end up casting your votes for. You can vote for detective, murderer, and love interests, who did you pick?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill,
    Regarding reviewing shows that involve family, I would recommend you just go to the show and enjoy watching your family members doing what they love. Leave the review alone, for all the obvious reasons. You aren't paid to do this, and even those who count on your observations to help them make decisions on whether or not they'll go see a show should understand if you choose to recuse yourself.

    As you're well aware of how catty the theatre world can get, even when you give a review that is generally positive, I doubt it's worth the grief that it would rain down upon your loved one's heads.

    That's my opinion. Worth whatever it is worth.
    .m

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you thought that I was so terrible that you voted for me for the murderer and gave me an extra song. How generous of you.
    I chose to play Rosa as a straight character and never intended for her to be flashy. I assure you I also wasn't going for dull.

    Our sound system is not the best, and I would have preferred not to have had to use a mic, however, I had a mic because I lost my voice earlier in the week.

    It has always been my goal to put on an entertaining show for the audience, not myself, and I am glad to know that my presence won't be missed from the theatre scene. At least you found Bri and Damon to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While normally I would recommend avoiding a conflict of interest in the case of reviewing shows with family member in the cast or crew, but then I would also say to avoid shows where you have friendships (or even prior working experience) with the cast and crew. Since you are reviewing the very small world of community theater in the western burbs, and probably see very few productions which don't have members who you have worked with, that would be nearly impossible to accomplish.

    I would do the review (with full disclosure in the body of the review).... I would also make sure to disclose any possible conflict of interest in reviews of other shows...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "We need very strong ears to hear ourselves judged frankly, and because there are few who can endure frank criticism without being stung by it, those who venture to criticize us perform a remarkable act of friendship, for to undertake to wound or offend a man for his own good is to have a healthy love for him."

    ~ Michel Eyquem De Montaigne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for saving me $26.00

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what I am about to say will sound like an incredibly haughty generalization but its something I have to say because my experience has shown it to be true. Musical theater is not easy. It requires very good vocalists ( that can act ), very good musicians, very good choreographers, and people that are comfortable with directing on a musical stage. And not just one or two good people…. A lot of good people. It’s a lot more than just putting on some costumes and singing along with an orchestra or band. It truly requires people, in community theater, that are very dedicated to it and do it as a passion. Not as an afterthought. People that “think” and “breath” musical theater and not just people that like being on stage. I essentially do 100% musicals and the majority of people that I usually work with do musicals almost exclusively.

    The point I am trying to make is this: Joliet Drama Guild is a group that typically does about 4 shows a year and almost always only one of them is a musical. And although a generalization ,I think it can be said quite fairly that their emphasis is NOT on musical productions . And some may very much disagree with this but without a real emphasis on musical theater it is much less likely that a group can put together a really good musical production. Not impossible ….. but much more difficult …..for many reasons.

    I have not seen “Drood” at the Joilet Drama Guild and I would probably not have gone even if I had not read the review.I have the seen the show both professionally and by a community theater. However it has pretty much been my experience that theater groups that do mostly plays and not musicals really are just “dabblers” and are kind of pretending to do something that they probably shouldn’t be doing. Really… groups that do musicals only or as an emphasis many times have a difficult time doing a good job. Possibly it might be a reasonable idea to just stick to what you emphasize or do best?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw Drood myself... (I commented above that I enjoyed being able to shout at/interact with the actors)

    I was curiously waiting for this review.

    Although I agree that Mr. Sipes (all 18-19 years old of him) was off key a bit, as was another male lead (I forgot his name) in his duet/quartet, this performance was a lot of "fun" to attend.

    I am not a critic. I am a guy who likes going to the theater... usually community theater, because I cannot afford downtown. I have past musical experience so I DO know pitch, etc. (I play 2 instruments and thought the band was excellent, though trying real hard to play quietly)

    Maybe the character "depth" wasn't what someone with 40+ years of directing experience seeks, and maybe Annie wasn't flashy (I agree she tried way too hard to hit the high notes that SHOULD have been dropped an octave) but I looked around the theater that night, and everyone was laughing, pointing, shouting...

    ...isn't "that" what matters?

    As I walked to my truck I heard people commenting on the final love song, the murderer, etc.. There was a loud "gasp" from the crowd as the drunken Durdles pointed out who the murderer was. (he was a riot in the audience pre-show!)

    I agree the chairman was incredible as was Natalie... both well worth the $13... and miss Puffer. She couldn't have been better.

    Yes, there were some flats and sharps, and each character wasn't perfect, but considering none of these people get paid, (or do they?) and the audience had "fun", I think it's worth spending the $13 (less than a good pizza) and checking it out yourself.

    It sure beats a Cubs game.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know some people would suggest I stay out of this, however, I have already had 2-3 fellow cast members and 2-3 theatre friends ask me, "Is your dad going to review the show or not?" So, to avoid the question, I'll post my answer here.

    Everyone: "Is Bill going to review your show?"
    Harmony: "Oh, he'll review it. The real question is, will it be posted for all to see."

    As a family we have attended many theatrical productions (several featuring immediate or extended family members). We ALWAYS "review" shows via discussion. It's just what we do. In a small way, it's how we bond.

    So Dad, I'm not going to say if you should or shouldn't post your review... I honestly don't care either way. I already have a good idea of what you will say about it after 28 years of hearing your opinions. Personnaly, I think you are more likely to have a biased opinion due to your friends involved with the show rather then you are by your two family members anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reviewing a show involving family and/or friends is a tough call. I think I would talk to them and explain that you have to be honest with your review because your credibility is at stake. If they are prepared for an honest assessment of the show, then go ahead and review it. If they are as thin skinned as some of those who commented above, I would refrain from reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. we saw drood friday night and have to say you were off on the annie roach comments, she sang beautifully. I have to agree with you on the chairman role as well as drood they were great. The choreography was terrible and the orchestra was little loud and the role for princess puffer was missed cast. All in all it was a fun show

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree 100% on the parts for Rosa and Jasper. They dont know correct techniques to sing and train their voices. If they take the time to get correct vocal training they could be great in the future. Jasper was all over the place with his notes but at least you could understand him and he can act the part well. I dont believe Rosa was convincing at all, it was hard to follow and be involved. I think with a lot of vocal training that Eric would have a fantastic voice. As a soprano you have to be able to hit the notes correctly and if you cant you need to have the part adjusted down into your range. Because you wouldn't lose your voice from straining to hit the notes that you cannot hit. Being on a body mic doesn't hurt your voice I believe the chairman was on a mic and he sounded terrific. All the mic does it pick up your voice and amplifies it so the people in the audience who have to pay to come hear you all sing can actually hear you. Im sure she has good voice, in her range, but this performance was not.
    I think that the parts of the other cast members were great. The part of Drood was done perfectly attitude and the voice. Princess Puffer was comical and enjoyable. Her solos were outstanding. Durdles was also funny and a pleasure to watch. Neville and Helena were great,I enjoyed their duet and their acting was great. The guy who played Bazzard should have played Jasper, his voice was fantastic. The Chairman was by far the best performance. His energy level was up all the way through it was a pleasure to sit and watch him.

    ReplyDelete