Bill Barry Jr.

wjbreviews@gmail.com

Friday, September 17, 2010

Review: "Where's My Money?" Riverfront Playhouse, Aurora, IL ends 9/18/10

A two items of business
  1. I want to thank everyone who commented about my reviewing The Drowsy Chaperone.  Not that it was a contest, but the best and most accurate response was from Harmony, my daughter.  She nailed it.  I review everything I see.  Don't you?  I assume you make value judgments all day long about what you're seeing, reading, tasting, touching, listening to or experiencing in life.  If you're not, next time you go to a theatre, ask for the "zombie" discount.  The question really should have been, "Dare I post a review of a show that has family members in the cast?"  No need to send your thoughts.  I have answered that for myself.
  2. During my research for this blog site, I discovered a valuable source of information:  greenroomonline.org.  The site divides Chicagoland into regions (North, Northwest, West, and I'm sure that South will be in there eventually if you ask nicely), and provides a list of theatres in those areas in an easy-to-navigate matrix.  You get the name, address, phone number, URL and various contact information for each theatre.  I've been involved in suburban theatre for a long time, and there are companies listed that I've never heard of, and I discovered there actually is theatre north of Irving Park Road!!!  Some of the listings include the theatres' current season or current show, with dates and times.  Some of the performance information has expired, but I think that's just a matter of the web mistress having the time to update, as well as having the information to work with and the interest from the public to drive the need.  The publicity people of theatre groups should keep this site on their radar and forward the most up-to-date information available.  The site is run by Jen Piory (you may know her on the NICOTH site as JenLCB (yes, her name is green, so she's either an administrator of NICOTH or eco-friendly...or both).  What I find most admirable is that she's financing this endeavor on her own from the proceeds she's made from selling Mary Kay cosmetics.  In an e-mail exchange she and I had after I told her how I was using the web site, she responded, "It's always gratifying to know that all the work I do is actually being used!! Kind of no point in doing it, otherwise. :) THANK YOU THANK YOU for letting me know!!! I am a Mary Kay consultant who loves theatre.  I never used to love wearing makeup onstage because it made my face break out, and now that I've found something that doesn't do that, I want to share it with the world!"  Bookmark her site.  I think you'll find it a great resource. Let her know if you find it useful.  And if you're having similar issues with make up, I'm sure she'd love to take the time to tell you of her discovery.

OK, time for the review...




I apologize to you, my faithful readers, and 12 devoted followers.  I saw this show 9/3.  Fourteen days ago.  And I have remained silent about it.  I have done you a disservice and ask for your forgiveness, because I should have warned you earlier.  However, the guy who does the "live" pre-show announcement said, “If you like the show, tell others.  And if you don’t like it, keep your mouth shut.”  I believe he looked at me specifically when he said the latter part, giving me the stink eye, and I have said nothing since, paralyzed by the fear of a cursed life and the uneasy feeling of emasculation.


OK, maybe not, but he actually did say it, but in jest, I think.  And do you actually think I would follow his instructions?  Really?  The truth is I didn't have anything to say except that the show is awful.  I mean bad awful.  However, this past weekend I saw three new productions, and found one among them that I think would be a great alternative to Riverfront's painful presentation.  More on that later in this posting.

Let’s start with the story of Where's My Money?  It was written by John Patrick Shanley.  He gave us the award winning movie Moonstruck and the award-winning play, Doubt.  He’s no hack.  But this play is all over the map trying to be perceptive, ingenious and witty about marriage specifically, and relationships in general.  What we actually get is a passel of what seems like his own personal vitriol that makes the characters unsympathetic, bitter, predictable and downright unlikable.  No new ground is explored, except for the occasional appearance of ghosts (representing emotional baggage that keeps returning no matter how much you want the airlines to lose it).  Shanley tries so hard to be acrid and clever with his dialog that his hollow characters become nothing more than mannequins upon which he can hang his weak comic couture.  The characters have no arc, and there's nothing compelling to watch.  The best line in the show is the one that is often quoted:  “Monogamy is like a 40 Watt bulb.  It works, but it’s not enough.”  Not bad, but now that you've read it, you've experienced the highlight of the play.  Save your money.


I know that a weak script is hard to direct.  It’s an arduous task trying to find ways of making crap seem interesting.  So I asked myself why they chose it in the first place.  I didn't see or feel any directorial effort put forth.  And the show had two directors.  Maybe they negated each other to a zero effect, like off-setting penalties in sports.




The show is made up of five two-person scenes, with a character from one scene going onto the next, except for the last scene, where the show becomes a big tangled mess of stupid.  It has the feel of a poor man's La Ronde, except for the ghostly apparitions bringing scenes to a close.  If there was movement, it was circular and repetitive and not motivated by what was being said.  If the directors were going for the visual effect of individuals circling their prey before verbally abusing them with humiliation and hatred...they failed.  Although that would have made for some interesting stage tableaus and given it some depth.

As for the actors, it was obvious they had no confidence in their lines or the script, and were given little direction.  For example, one of the directors should have told the young lady in the first scene that the limp she chose was so big, she could have been a member of the Ministry of Silly Walks.  Honestly, she circled the stage like a giraffe with hip dysplasia.  It went beyond funny or meaningful in the situation and edged into the land of buffoonery.  Her partner in the scene kept crossing and uncrossing her legs...and I don’t think it was conscious.  Deliver a line,  cross your legs.  Deliver a line, uncross your legs.  Deliver a line, then cross, then line, then uncross, ad infinitum.  She forced the bitter sarcasm, acoustically putting it in finger quote marks so that we, the audience, “got it”.  It made me shudder.  Oh, then the zombie/ghost/emotional baggage apparition arrived and the scene ended.  He nailed his titular line.

The next scene was Sharon Stone from scene one and her husband.  He was the closest to being a real character and showng some acting chops.  But it was a long scene headed to nowhere.  They circled each other physically and verbally and heaped incendiary insults upon each other and acted generally morose.  Then they made up, or stopped shouting, and then zombie boy showed up again to close out the scene.  There is a spooky sound effect when he appears.  Oooooo!

Then there's an unneeded intermission (the show itself runs 87 minutes...it’s a one act stretched out because...what, we have small bladders?)  Then scene three is hubby from scene two and his boss and both are divorce lawyers.  Boss has a disturbingly bleak outlook on life and marriage and relationships and rambles on and on about it to the point where you want to shoot him or yourself to put you out of his misery.  Now that I reread my last sentence, the end of that scene takes on a better meaning.

That’s enough.  Really.  Why go on.  The acting was bad to average, the script stinks and there’s nothing likable to even care about the show.  But that’s just my opinion.


If you're interested in seeing it (it ends tomorrow), go here and get the information.   But what you really should do is get a ticket to see The Curate Shakespeare - As You Like It at Geneva Underground Playhouse.  I saw it last weekend and I liked it.  The review is on it’s way, but I thought I’d give you a heads up.  I also saw Into The Woods by Theatre Nebula at Cutting Hall in Palatine (see...north of Irving) and The Desk Set at Albright Theatre in Batavia.  The former is pretty good if you’re willing to suffer through a husband and wife team who were inexplicably given the lead roles.  The supporting cast is wonderful.  The Albright production was a tad weak, but is certainly a better offering than Where’s My Money?.  How's this for symmetry:  you could go to Jen Piory's Green Room Online web site and find the links to those theatres for more information.  My suggestion: spend your cash on the Geneva production.  Better show, better comedy, better acting and nice direction.

So, was the Riverfront Playhouse production worth the price of admission?  Not at all.

Paid: $15

Run time: 1 hour, 49 minutes with an unnecessary 15-minute intermission...unless you have a small bladder or a small attention...look, a squirrel!!! 

7 comments:

  1. I will start by writing that I have been glued to your blog since you first started. I enjoy your banter and candid view. I write a lot for a living and I love the fact that the Internet has afforded us the opportunity to do so and so freely. Your writing is very entertaining.

    And I want to thank you for taking the time to see this show and actually post your review. I think it takes guts to post a negative review and I applaud your courage to do so. Reviews don’t do anyone any good if they are only positive.

    There have been mixed reviews of this show. From, “I love this show!” to “I don’t like the script, but you guys did a great job.” to “Um, not among my favorites.”

    This is not my first – nor, I am sure, my last - negative review. When you put yourself out there, you have to take the good with the bad and, in this case, the extremely ugly.

    I do not object to you not liking the show, not liking the acting/direction, or voicing your opinion. You are a blogger and are free to write what you think – regardless of how awful it might sound. And what you wrote, in my opinion, sounds pretty awful. But, hey, that’s just my opinion.

    What I do object to is the fact that you waited until 4:04 PM the night of our last weekend to post your review and that you blend other reviews/shows in with the one you are reviewing. From your email that the review was posted: “There's a new one posted right here http://wbarryjr.blogspot.com. It contains a suggestion for a show you should not miss (you can miss the one being reviewed).” – I was a bit miffed. But here’s a suggestion:

    Please continue to review shows because your reviews are extremely entertaining. But, please, don’t mix your reviews with other shows. I understand you did it for a reason, to emphasize your point that our show really, really sucked. I “get it!” But please, save those great shows for a separate blog entry. I really don’t think it’s fair to the show that’s being reviewed when you combine your review other shows.

    And, in the future, don’t wait to post your review. The Curtain speech that you should "keep your big mouth shut" if you don't like a show has been given for over 20 years. Sorry you felt like that was directed at you. Your bad review could have filled our house – I wanted to see this show, just to see how “bad” it really was!! And I’m IN the show!!

    But – hey – that is just “my opinion.”

    From – Kristen Duerdoth (aka – Natalie - the leg crossing, acoustically finger quoting, Sharon Stone)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review sparked me to think but not about the play, which I have seen three times and definitely think is "worth the price of admission". I am surprised that you feel so strongly and yet neglected to comment for several weeks. It makes your comments and motives suspect.

    More importantly, I think you seemed to miss the double-edged nature of this black comedy. Example: the exaggerated limp of the giraffe girl. It is supposedly to be silly - a reflection of the character's personality - thoroughly blonde in a pathetic way. Besides, there are worse things in life than being tall and blonde. Lighten up and enjoy the both sides of this play.

    I think you would better respect the intellect of your readers and do the play more justice if you speak to the heart of the play's message and the actors' protrayal of tricky personalities.

    Signed, a satisfied patron

    ReplyDelete
  3. For what it's worth, Kristen Duerdoth, you are one classy lady. I don't know you and didn't see the show; I'm just going from your comment. There are many ways to react to negative reviews (my particular favorite being shiraz and invective) and yours is far better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.) Your reviews very valuable if posted early enough in the run of the show but become less so if they are posted within a few days of closing. Your reviews are very valuable from a consumer standpoint ( people who may or may not go to the show) but, at the same time, I have a feeling that they ultimately don't really have much of an effect on the people that produce or act in the shows. For this reason, as do most theater critics, it might be a reasonable idea to post your comments as early in the run of the show as is possible.

    2.) I've always found it a bit humorous that when shows are released for community theaters to produce, there is usually a mad rush by theaters to do the show. This year it seems to be "Spelling Bee" and "Hairspray" and to a lesser degree "Annie". A year or two ago it was "The Producers". I don't know..... there are so many shows available .... shouldn't community theaters seek to do shows that they can do well with the talent and resources have rather than trying to be the first theater in the area to do a show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill, I've been a little "busy" with lots of life-changing things but I am just now seeing this entry. Thanks for the plug!! And yes, if theatre publicity folks can contact me with their audition and production info, I try to get things updated within a day or two. They can email me at jen @ greenroomonline.org .

    I've also got a "Directors" section... for only $10, you can get your own section of the Green Room to include a bio, resume, production photos and videos. The price includes UNLIMITED updates, and proceeds go toward keeping the Directnic banners away. I'm also looking into some unobtrusive ad space, so let me know what your theatre can afford... my rates are reasonable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, it's "Poiry." :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I do tend to screw-up names. And I was sure I had checked that it was right. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete